Sunday, November 21, 2010

7 days to be thankful:day 4 my education

I am the first one in my immediate family to attend and graduate college. I am very thankful for my degree. I always knew I wanted to go to college but was never quite sure what for. I tossed around different ideas-orthodontist (too much school), marine biologist (wasn't ready to move away), physical therapist (not sure why I didn't pick that). So, when it came time to decide, I was at a loss of where to go and what major to pick. My mom suggested I go ask my counselor what I could do with sign language.

A little back story: When I was in second grade we had a new student come in who happened to be Deaf. I was that kid that made friends with everyone and soon we were best friends. I remember watching the interpreter the whole day and going home asking my mom why I wasn't Deaf. I was in love with the language and I learned it to communicate with my friend. After third grade she moved away and we lost contact. That was the last of my signing that I did.

Ok, back to my senior year. After my mom suggested that I went right into the counselor's office and asked what I could do with sign language. She told me I could be an interpreter. Then, I asked where I can go to school. She told me where, so I applied, got accepted, and was on my way.

I love my job and am thankful for it. American Sign Language is such a beautiful language. I am thankful I took my mom's advice. I can't wait to have a baby one day and teach them sign language. Seeing little hands sign melts my heart. I am thankful for all the things my education has brought me.

No comments: